This week we are working on:
- Stream of Dreams! This week our school gets to participate in this wonderful program.
- No library this week due to Stream of Dreams. Grade 1s will visit the library on Wednesdays.
- Friday is our school Terry Fox Run. Bring a toonie for Terry and wear bright colours. Kindergarten and grade 1 students run on the field while grades 2-7 run a sidewalk route in the neighbourhood.
- We will discuss perseverance. This ties together the salmon, Terry Fox and adjusting to new grade 1 expectations.
- Sight words: voici, c’est, regarde, il y a, je vois, j’aime. We’ve been reading, writing and speaking using these special words.
- No school on Monday the 19th
- Save the date! Grade 1 parents are invited to Come Read With Me. Look for a yellow invitation to come home this week. October 12th, 8:45-10:15 in the library and classrooms.
- Label everything your child could lose at school. Support the PAC with Mabels Labels or a simple Sharpie name will do. Most frequently lost items are: sweatshirts, water bottles, containers, cutlery and winter accessories.
- Orange Shirt Day is the 29th.
- No school on September 30th – Truth and Reconciliation Day
Welcome grade 1 families to our classroom blog!
Each week, we post the big ideas we’re working on in class. Click on the hyperlinks to open songs and videos. Check out the menu bar above for more information and resources to support learning at home.
This week we are working on…
- Getting to know les amis!
- Our learning begins outside each morning. We practice our conversation skills, sing songs and play games together.
- Our first trip to the library is on Wednesday. Please send a cloth bag for books.
- We are starting with the vowel sound Aa. We will work on this vowel sound all week. What the letter is called, what sound it makes, hearing and seeing the sound in words we know like ananas, papa, maman, arbre, ami, chat, vache. We’ll practice printing in our workbooks, writing in our journals and reading sound blends like la, ta, sa, ma, na, va, ça.
- We use a reading program called Au village des sons to help us remember the shapes of the letters and the sounds they make. There is a short story for each sound, a character poster and an action to help us remember – this is the story of petit a. For the last link below you will need a login and password: Lecture Enfant – login username: llgg1 password: lire2
- Read, complete and return all school forms. There will also be two permission slips. One is a walking permission slip and the other is the Salute to the Sockeye on Oct 4th.
- Remember to label everything!
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle every day.
We encourage families to use Lecture Enfant to listen and read along to levelled reading books. The report card will let you know what level your child is working on. Login: llgg1 Password: lire2
- Extending readers are working on expression, fluency and increasing their vocabulary in level ‘I – iglou’ and beyond.
The school bus will drop us off at the Group Campsite around 9:20am. We will have a snack and use the facilities. We’ll organize groups and go over expectations. Parents can use this time to leave a few vehicles at the endpoint of the hike – the Beach at the Provincial Park.
Students need to dress for the weather. They will pack their own backpack all day with their lunch and enough water.
This week we are… holding onto our hats and crossing our fingers for good weather!
- Monday is Primary Fun Day!
- Dress is bright rainbow colours! Don’t forget the hat and sunscreen and to label that water bottle. The grade 6 students have organized all of the activities this year. We can’t wait to see what they’ve come up with. Merci to PAC for providing the freezies – miam!
- Tuesday is our day of hiking at Paul Lake.
- Dress for the weather. It is a moderate hike along the lake and then up to the Rock of Gibraltar. The reward for all the uphill is a spectacular view! Then we walk down to the Provincial Park. The bus will drop the students off at the overnight camp site and then drive over to pick us up at the park. Pack enough water and food but no extra weight in the backpack as your child will be packing it all day.
- Wednesday we start with a year end assembly. Students will come home with their report card and all their remaining belongings. Early dismissal is 12:30. We will eat snack but no lunch on this day.